Sunday, September 10, 2006

Guadalajara for the weekend

Friday morning, Polo, Patty and I flew to Guadalajara for the weekend. I didn't know I was built for first class :) I had enough leg room just to get by. We were picked up from the airport by a man who took us to our hotel to get accomodated before dinner. The accomodation process did not take long at all--we pulled up to the castle and I was escorted to my room by a bellboy who gave me a tour of my room before he set my bags down. The room was gorgeous. Everything had a vintage feel to it from the carpet, to the furniature, to the 6 ft paintings on the wall.

I sat for a bit..soaked up the atmosphere and then it was time for dinner.

We took a cab to a place in downtown Guadalajara called to Karne Garibaldi. In the 1996 Guinness Book of World Records, Karne Garibaldi held the record for world's fastest service. I think the main reason why they are so fast is because they only serve a single entree called 'carne en su jugo.' Its basically a combination of diced beef simmered in spicy beef broth, topped with bacon and served with grilled onions, tortillas, and refried beans mixed with corn. Let me tell you...it was delicious followed by a stomache ache. The beans kicked my ass--no pun intended. It was a great atmosphere and good food.

Polo had four shows this weekend--2 on Friday and 2 on Saturday. I attended the first show on Friday.

We pulled up to the auditorium and outside were enormus banners of their upcoming events. I saw a banner for 'Salvese Quien Pueda' which we attended and went to dinner with the cast...A banner for 'Vaselina'--a grease knock off starring Ana Brenda Contreras--who's website I'm doing...a banner for Polo Polo--who I live with...and finally a banner for Barney & friends...who's music inspires me more than anything. kidding--

The auditorium was the biggest I had seen Polo perform in yet (about 2,000 seats). People filed in to see him perform.
I was really amazed to see the range of people that came to his show. I would say the youngest was probably 17 and the oldest was probably 75. I think its insane to appeal to that broad of an audience which spans about 3 generations...I don't know how he does it.

The weekend rest of the weekend was great...I got to try all sorts of regional dishes and each were fantastic in their own right.

It was fun to see a new city but its always nice to come back where things look a little more familiar.

No comments: